Tuesday 24 March 2015

Say hi to Wednesdays




Everyone loves The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler
Racheal, Bobbigrace, Kim say "OMGGGGG" It makes you swoon" "Can boys be like him, eh?" "This is what gets our hopes up."

Kim told us about The Jerk Magnet, which is about people who like you regardless of your appearance.

Lana is reading Shakespeare Saved My Life- a free open download from the school library. "We are all heroes in our own tragedies."

Bobbigrace is covered in assessments.

Cherub needs a new book- Parvana's Promise is not her type of vibe. She's looking at some by Phillipa Gregory or maybe The Secret Life of Bees

Perfect Chemistry is also very popular, with Empress of the World being recommended as well.

Ms Metcalfe is again recommending Graceling, Fire and Bitterblue by Kristin Cahore.

On reading:

"I can't go to sleep without reading."
"If I ever have a bad dream or something I read."
"Reading is how I get out of everything like chores."

There was a wide ranging discussion on how teenagers treat each other and social expectations inspired by the books.

We're also excited about our upcoming trip to the Writer's Festival!!!

Update:

Some suggestions from Isaac Thomas(teacher at McAuley who is generally misanthropic and hates romance novels)

"I don't hate John Green, and his all have romance. I think the only other romance book I haven't hated this year has been The DUFF. The will-they-won't-they pair.... it's all handled tastefully, so I've lent it to a Year 9. Also Very LeFreak by Rachel Cohn, which is based around a girl trying to give up her phone and social media, but sneakily turns into a romance in the final act. Or Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List, by Cohn and David Levithan, which is sort of an anti-romance, but I recall someone lives happily ever after somewhere along the lines. "

No comments:

Post a Comment