Wednesday 20 August 2014

Where we once belonged.

I've just recently read this book called Where we once belonged by Sia Figiel. It was given to me to read and when I read the first page I immediately thought this is great. The book is about  a Samoan girl Alofa who is coming of age in her small town. It talks about her family, the community and aspects of the book explored the gender politics of islander life. Towards the middle/ending I founds it a bit hard to read because the story would go on to talk about mythyical gods, for example there was a whole page about how the earth gave birth. I also found it hard to read when the author repeated one sentence multiple times and I could never quite guess why. Besides from that it was good book and it was good to read a story set in my home country. 

:]

No comments:

Post a Comment